Apple? Pumpkin? Cherry? Yes, please! If you like pie, the Dover Public Library has some awesome events for you!
Call us at 330-343-6123 for More Information or to Register!
The Art of Pie
Tuesday, August 1 at 6:30 PM
Whether you’re a seasoned pie baker or are just learning, home economist Ruth Burky will get you up to speed on the fundamentals of making pie in no time. After taking this class, you’ll be a pro at making pie crust and fillings including a fresh strawberry, French silk chocolate, and double crust apple. You will leave with recipes and pie making tips and hints. Yummy samples provided.
Pie in the Library – A Pie Contest
Saturday, August 5 from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Calling all pie bakers and pie lovers! Amateur bakers are encouraged to submit their best pies for judging at this fun community event. Four categories include Apple, Fruit and Berry, Nutty, and Sweet. All are welcome to come enjoy a piece of pie while listening to the Tuscarawas Philharmonic Summer Camp Choir and the soothing acoustic guitar music of Roxanne Timberlake. Complete Rules and Registration Form
Pie Contest Rules
Pie must be entered in the name of the person who made it.
This contest is intended for Adult (18 years and older) amateur bakers only. Professional bakers or those who earn a portion of their livelihood from baking or cooking may not enter the contest.
Each dessert pie must be made from scratch and based in a 9” pie plate/pan. Each pie must include a serving utensil and a cover. You may not use pie filling or a pre-made store-bought crust.
- Fruit & Berry
To Enter Your Pie
- Bring your pie to the library between 11:00 AM and 12:30 PM. on the day of the Pie Contest. The staff running the Pie-Baking Contest will have the final say on acceptability of pies. Pies must be in an appropriate covered container until judging.
- The Health Department says: NO PIES THAT REQUIRE REFRIGERATION (i.e. dairy or cream pies).
- Only one entry per person per category.
- Fill out the registration form.
- If you are a winner, you give your permission to have your photo taken during the announcement ceremony and have it used for Pie Contest promotional materials, including social media & the library website.
Judging will take place between 1:00-1:30 PM
There will be a minimum of three judges.
- Overall appearance
- Crust color, texture, doneness and flavor
- Filling consistency, doneness and flavor
- Overall taste
Each judge assigns a numerical value (1-5) in each criteria category, without consultation with the other judges. The pie receiving the highest total numerical value is the winner in that category. In the case of a tie, the judges will judge those pies again. The decision of the judges is final. Judges will not know contestant names. Winners will be announced after judging. Participants must be present during contest and judging.
Participants must be present during contest and judging.
Following the judging, all pies will be available for the community to enjoy. Pies will be eaten that day.
Pie Eating Contest
Saturday, August 5 at 3:00 PM
Grades K – 5
Make a pie-themed craft and a small pudding and whipped topping pie to eat without using your hands! The contest winner will get to smash a pie in Miss Syrena’s face! Please call 330-343-6123 to register.