Registration will begin on February 14, 2017
Join our new reading challenge!
Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brain power? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge – all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten. It is also a wonderful way to bond with your child.
Dover Public Library’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate. Just follow these steps:
- Register: sign up in the Children’s Department or print the registration form and bring it in. Pick up your starter materials at the library, or print them here:
- Track Your Reading: There are many ways to keep track of the books you read. You can use our bubble sheet to fill in bubbles for each book you and your child read and write down the titles of your favorites, or you can use a reading log sheet to write down each title you read. There are also two free apps available for iPhone and Android:
Instructions for using the apps: http://1000booksbeforekindergarten.org/1000-books-before-kindergarten-iphone-android-app-instructions/
Printable reading logs: Bubble Sheet, Reading Log Sheet – 1-100, Reading Log Sheet – 101-200, Reading Log Sheet – 201-300, Reading Log Sheet – 301-400, Reading Log Sheet – 401-500, Reading Log Sheet – 501-600, Reading Log Sheet – 601-700, Reading Log Sheet – 701-800, Reading Log Sheet – 801-900, Reading Log Sheet – 901-1000
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time.You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading record to the library to receive a special reward. Take home a new reading record for your next 100 books.
- 1,000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the library, see your child’s name placed on the 1,000 Book Wall of Fame, and receive a prize.
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. Visit Dover Public Library often for free programs and storytimes that are fun and educational for your little one and to find great books to share with your child.
1,000 books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Ask our friendly staff for suggestions – we are here to help you on your journey to 1,00 Books Before Kindergarten!
Want more information about the program?
Visit http://1000booksbeforekindergarten.org/ for articles, keepsakes, activities, and reading resources. If you have questions about Dover Public Library’s program, visit our Children’s Department and ask for Miss Claire.